Saturday 7 February 2009

February Moths - 1

Another appalling day coming up in Victoria. The entire state is on severe fire weather warning and a declared Total Fire Ban day. There is a bad fire in the Bunyip State Park in Gippsland and conditions today could give property owners in the vicinity major concerns.

Although I am miles away from Gippsland, perhaps it's prudent to post my latest 'finds' just in case, as my region is tinder dry and fire-prone! So far, we have been extremely lucky with no serious outbreaks.

(Click images to enlarge)

No. 1
Culama australis
COSSIDAE

No.2
Lepidoscia sp
PSYCHIDAE
No. 3
Persectania sp (I think) possibly Persectania ewingii - Southern Armyworm.
NOCTUIDAE : Hadeninae
TO BE INVESTIGATED
No. 4

No. 5
UPDATE: This is possibly Phycitinae sp.
PYRALIDAE

No. 6









5 comments:

Bennyboymothman said...

Some unusual Moths mate, well done!

It's strange that your struggling to cope with fires and here in the UK we are struggling with a foot of snow which has brought the country to a standstill!
I miss being able to Moth Trap!

All the best

Ben

Junior Lepid said...

Thanks Ben,

I read about your rotten weather. Right now, I'd be prepared to swap! :-)

I will be keeping an eye on your blog as you head into spring.

Denis Wilson said...

Hi JL
Glad you are safe.
Some fires in the west of Vic at Horsham and south from Bendigo.
Mostly fires in the central Ranges and Strezleckis. Terrible news.
Gouldiae is safe. Duncan ought be OK, in his area, as no fires reported there.
Denis

Gouldiae said...

Hang in there JL, thinking of you.
Gouldiae

Junior Lepid said...

Thankfully, no fires in my immediate area, Gouldiae and Denis - unlike the 2006/7 Grampians fires.

Stay safe down there Gouldiae. Not over yet.

Denis, I hope your area remains safe too. I'm watching NSW weather reports.