Wednesday 3 December 2008

Heteronympha merope

Yesterday afternoon, I decided to pay a visit to the small block of remnant vegetation about 2 minutes walk from my house. I had a plan to undertake some arachnid stalking. Spiders were a bit thin on the ground! Well, there were webs but no residents I could see!

Anyway, there were a few Common Brown butterflies flapping around plus a couple of day-flying moths.

I managed to sneak up on this butterfly after several aborted attempts to get any photos, particularly ones with the wings open! :-)

The butterflies were doing what this species does at this time of the year - flying close to the ground and occasionally landing, opening and closing the wings a couple of times then off again.

I think this one might be a male.

(Click to enlarge)

No comments: