Thursday 4 December 2008

3rd Ladybird Species

Hippodamia variegata - the Spotted Amber Ladybird or White Collared Ladybird.

Although a native of Europe, this is a very useful pest control agent. Tests have been carried out to determine the benefit of this species to the horticultural industry, particularly greenhouses, as a biological control for aphids, mites, thrips and whitefly.

These ones (and there were several) were on my parsley which, as you will note, is going to seed! :-)

I've set myself a task to search for and photograph other ladybird species in the garden this year.

(Click to enlarge)




Score-card so far:-

Family: Coccinellidae:

Harmonia conformis
Cocinella transversalis
Hippodamia variegata

6 comments:

Duncan said...

I wonder why I rarely see ladybirds, too much spraying by vege farmers and gardeners perhaps?

Denis Wilson said...

Nice shot of the different Ladybird.
I note it is on the Parsley umbel, which is similar to several species of herbs which I have published about recently. Wild Carrot and Coriander. Parsley - Apium, is the "type genus" for the entire family Apiaceae.
I shall have to ask my friends if their Parsley is in flower.

Mosura said...

Great shots. I haven't had that one here.

Junior Lepid said...

Thanks Duncan, Denis and Mosura,

I'd say the spraying wouldn't be doing them any good, Duncan! :-)

Denis, my plants are self-sown but did not go to seed last year, for some reason. They are making up for it this year, however!

Mosura, it's probably lurking. They are a bit people-shy! :-)

Denis Wilson said...

Hi JL
Parsley is a biennial. Grows leaves only first year (that's why there were no flowers last year). These plants flower in their second year. They will die after seeding.
Buy seedlings from your local nursery now, and let current plants go to seed. That way you get plants going on two different cycles. That is the key to success with Parsley.
Cheers
Denis

Junior Lepid said...

Thanks for that, Denis. That's what I generally do. Can't live without my parsley! :-)

I didn't have to buy in last year as the self-sowns did so well.

They will be allowed to set seed. Besides, they are insect magnets at the moment!