Wednesday 15 October 2008

October Mothing.....

.....has been abysmal; a non-event for me to date. It's either been too cold to sit outside or too windy to put the sheet up! :-(


I've seen several examples of this moth in the mornings under my verandah roof.

(Click to enlarge images)



I have absolutely no idea what it is. It's measuring around 3 to 3.5cm wingtip to wingtip.

I'd imagine it's a Geometrid of some sort. I have noticed it does hold its wings upright (like a butterfly) for short periods but then assumes the wings outstretched against the substrate position typical of Geometrids.
Mosura, Duncan - any ideas?



4 comments:

Mosura said...

Very nice!

Can't say what it is but I agree it's a Geometrid and I would suggest the subfamily Larentiinae which includes what are often called Carpet Moths with genera such as Xanthorhoe.

Not an ID but "hopefully" a pointer in the right direction.

Junior Lepid said...

Thanks Mosura - I spent some time searching Larenthiinae. There's one Epyaxa sp that has a similar patterning on the underwing. When I get time I will have another search and look more closely at Xanthorhoe.

There was another one under the verandah this morning - so I'd say there are a few around - or a few have just moved in! :-)

Duncan said...

Wish I could help JL, but I'm hopeless. I've been getting quite a few similar ones in here, haven't even started to look yet.

Junior Lepid said...

Thanks Duncan.

I'm sure the riddle will be solved in due course! :-)

I agree with Mosura, I think it's likely to be attached to the Larentiinae subfamily.