Saturday 11 October 2008

I'm Confused.......

......but I bet this invertebrate knows exactly which family it belongs to!

It looks as though it should be Cerambycidae sp (Longicorn) except for two small issues. The dark tufts on 2nd antennal segment and an apparent lack of antennal spines.

It measured approximately 3cm. Perhaps a little over.

Anyone know what it is?

(Click to enlarge)


UPDATE: I've just come up for air having gone through A to Z of a massive Cerambycid database but found no Longicorns with antennal tufting like this one. I wonder if the tufts are temporary, seasonal?

It's possible my Longicorn might be Cnemoplites edulis (Newman) commonly known as the Mallee Witchetygrub - but then again! They both seem to have a similar dorsal stripe but antennal segments might not be quite right.

I might see if the Museum of Victoria can offer a suggestion. :-)

7 comments:

Mosura said...

Obviously a Longicorn but can't say more than that. It does look familiar with those feathery tufts. Not sure where I've seen one similar.

Junior Lepid said...

Thanks Mosura. I searched one site yesterday that had a number of Longicorns illustrated. I found none with tufts and the majority were described as having antennal spines of some sort. I will keep searching. :-)

Duncan said...

Must be that time of year, I just posted one on a longicorn too. Great detail in your photo JL.

Mosura said...

click here for an example of one with feathery tufts on the antennae. Of course, other thatn that, it looks nothing like yours. With over 1200 species just in Australia alone there is going to be a considerable amount of variation. The long antennae, the kidney shaped eyes wrapped around the antennal bases, the tibial spurs, all of which can be seen on your specimen, all suggest a longicorn of some kind.

Junior Lepid said...

Thanks Duncan, I will have a look at your site shortly.

Mosura, thanks for the link. I'd posted my "Update" before checking your link. The tufting might be temporary, may be related to breeding or the season. This is something I don't know.

Denis Wilson said...

You guys (JL, Duncan and Mosura) amaze me with your knowledge of creepy-crawlies. I could have called it a Longicorn, but beyond that ...
It is good to know there are people out there who know about this stuff.
Denis

Junior Lepid said...

Thanks Denis.

I can assure you I am on one heck of a learning curve here. Something new to discover almost daily!

Longicorns and moths - where would we be without the constant challenge these creatures present when it comes to correct identification? :-)

This journey through the world of entomology has only just begun for me.